Non-Traditional families are equal to any other type of family at the Rutherford Law Center, LLC. We want to ensure that all love is respected and all family make-ups are honored and protected. Estate planning is even more critical for non-traditional/LGBTQ families than for normal families. Let us help you ensure that the law recognizes the family you have created.
In addition to the documents listed below, we will produce specialized documents that reflect your family make-up to ensure that your wishes are honored. These documents vary based on your family composition, and we will tailor them to your specific needs.
Every family is different, but most receive:
- Will: If you have children, we will also have a contingent trust. If something happens to you (or both of you, if applicable) then the will establishes a trust to ensure that the money is handled and spent wisely to benefit your children. You can continue the trust to any age you like, and put in terms to ensure that the trustee has flexibility to both protect and support your child.
- (For children) Designation of Guardian: If you are injured or otherwise can’t care for your children, but you are still alive, your children will need a temporary guardian. We help you identify the best person to care for your children if you are temporarily unable to do so.
- Living Will
- Financial Power of Attorney
- Medical Power of Attorney
- Medical Directives
- Review of your beneficiaries on accounts, and guidance on modification if necessary
- Detailed guidance detailing when each document is appropriate and how they should and can be used
- Guidance on proper titling of all assets
- Guidance to later fiduciaries (powers of attorney, personal representatives, etc.) on what to do when something happens to you.
We can also help with trusts, generation skipping, and other asset planning needs. More documents are utilized when they are appropriate. We tailor our services to the client.
Contact us today to set up a telephone consultation so that we can work together to help you or your loved one.
“Meggin was very thorough and spoke in layman’s terms in my first meeting with her. She was patient but kept me to the deadlines of settling the estate. She kept in touch with me and the heirs through email, phone, and post contacts in a timely but not intrusive manner. She made helpful suggestions and explained next steps for her and for the client at each phase. I recommend her strongly for anyone who is the personal representative for an estate.”