Guardianship & Conservatorship for Incapacitated Adults

It’s hard to see loved ones struggle as adults. You may have an elder who can no longer make their own decisions and doesn’t have a power of attorney. Maybe your adult child is incapacitated and needs assistance from family. A guardian makes decisions for the person’s physical well being and education. A conservator makes decisions for the person’s assets. You may need one or both. We are happy to help you and your family get the authority you need to care for your loved ones. Call us to help you get through the court system correctly and easily. Here are the general steps that will occur to finalize your guardianship or conservatorship:

Prepare for filing. This includes gathering documentation and information and filling out paperwork. You will likely need a letter from a medical professional stating the incompetence of your loved one. If you don’t already have one, we can work together to get that letter.

  1. File a petition with the court.
  2. Notify others who would be interested and have standing to object.
  3. Have a finalization hearing.
  4. File annual reports.

We can also help with emergency guardianships if your loved one needs emergency authority for care. Call us today for a free phone consultation to see how we can help your family.

* This is not legal advice for your particular situation: it is provided as educational guidance only. This does not form any legal relationship between the reader and the Rutherford Law Center, LLC. Please contact an attorney to ensure that you are doing what is required to protect your family.