Guardianship and Conservatorship

Caring for your parents is one of the hardest transitions to make. As the child you’re used to them taking care of you, and it’s hard to have those roles reversed. It’s even harder if your parents didn’t do their estate planning and did not designate a power of attorney for their financial or medical decisions. What do you do when you need to make decisions to help your parents but you’re not able to do so?

Many of us are caregivers for disabled adults who have been disabled their whole lives. This may be siblings, adult children, or others who we love. If they were never able to make their own powers of attorney then we need to get court orders so that you can continue to provide them the love and care that they deserve.

We can help you take care of your family. A conservatorship will allow you to handle their finances. A guardianship gives you the power to make their medical decisions and decisions on where they live. You may need one or both of these.

The paperwork for guardianship or conservatorship can be overwhelming. Let us guide you through the large stack of requirements. There are always questions about what you are supposed to be doing as the fiduciary. We provide ongoing guidance and support.

Call us to set up a telephone consultation on how we can help you help your family.

“Meggin and Emily gave us some great advice about a complicated situation. I felt confident in their abilities to provide the law services we need. I look forward to working with them in the future!”

-Caretaker in Jefferson County