Pre-Marital Agreements and Marital Agreements
Most people are familiar with the concept of a pre-marital agreement (Pre-Nup). It is where you and your soon-to-be spouse sign agreements about what will happen if you get divorced in the future. It may sound harsh, but it is usually a very good idea if either of you have any assets coming into the marriage. You can also get a marital agreement after you’re already married that does the same thing.
- You know what will happen if you separate or get divorced.
- Protect assets that you already have going into the marriage so that you get the full benefit.
- Protect your assets for your children if it will be a blended family.
- Reduce stress and anxiety about what will happen if something goes wrong.
- Awkward to talk about with your spouse.
- You cannot make agreements about parenting plans or child support.
- Can be difficult to get your spouse to agree.
If you have questions about a pre-nup or a marital agreement, please call our office at 303.431.0415 for a free 15 minute initial phone consultation.